Friday, May 28, 2010

Sugar Cookies

About 17 years ago, when I started dating my wife, I went to my wife's family Christmas get together. I'm very introverted and I was in a room full of people that I did not know. It was awkward. When it came time for everyone to exchange presents, it was more awkward. I remember watching everyone open their gifts and someone had laid a gift by me with my name on it. When I opened it, it was a bag of home made sugar cookies. Addie's grandmother, Peggy, didn't want me to be left out. So, she baked me some sugar cookies.

She may have already had some made, but it didn't matter. She gave them to me because she didn't want me to be left out. Every year at Christmas, I looked forward to getting those cookies, even when I was "too healthy" to eat them. I knew Peggy was giving me love with her cookies.

I'm telling all of this because this week Peggy passed away. Yes, in about one month's time, Addie lost both her mom and her grandmother. Not just Addie, though her and her family feel the losses the most, but the world has lost two wonderful ladies. Ladies who lived their life by loving others. Ladies who didn't let life's road blocks stop them from reaching out and making the world a better place.

In the last month, I have learned a great deal about life. Life is what we make it. We can live it and make the world a better place by loving others, or we can just exist and take up space. If we just exist, when we are gone, no one will know. But if we love and make a difference in people's lives, those people will be moved to do the same and the whole world will know. Peggy and Kat both made the world a better place. I guess now its my turn. Watch out though, cause I don't bake cookies...

1 comment:

Franz Snideman said...

So sorry about your loss Tim!!

May God rest her Soul!!!

Blessings to you and your family brother!

Franz