Friday, August 14, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things

I am finally getting well from my Battling Rope-itis. Or whatever it is I caught two weeks ago. My training over the last few weeks has just consisted of trying to get good at the basics like swings and get-ups. I've also been doing a great deal of "self limiting" excersices (term by Gray Cook) such as double bottoms up cleans to a squat to a press.

I'm focusing on these simple moves because they are not simple. And I have plenty of room for improvement... I want to get as close to "mastery" as I can, so for me that means lots of the basics and lots of filling in the gaps. My get-ups have really taken on a whole new feel since I read Kettlebells from the Ground Up, The Kalos Sthenos Method. That is to say I'm really trying to make performing the get-up like performing an art. The cool thing is, I'm getting stronger. I'm also getting one inch closer to mastering my craft.

The weather did not cooperate this week for our DVD filming, so now we try again next week. Oh well, one more week to prepare. I did get to hang out with Betsy though and that is good. Hanging out with RKC's is also an excellent way to improve your skills. It never hurts to have another set of eyes on you...

Training today looked like this:

TGU's with 32kg: 1/1 x 8 -> 10 minutes
Swings with 32kg: 10L/10R x 7 sets, 15 seconds b/w hands
2H Swings w/ 32kg: 10 x 10 sets, 15 seconds b/w sets
SLDL w/ 32kg: 5/5 x 4 sets

Today was my heavy day. Thankfully it is over!

No comments: