Thursday, July 19, 2007

A way Around the Pain?

Welp, got golfer's elbow, or medial epicondylitis, or a pain in the butt inside the elbow. Whatever it is it's frustrating. So now, i'm trying to find away around it. I took a week off, but only a week. And really, i just didn't do kettlebells for a week. Now I'm using light KB's and trying to find what doesn't aggrivate my elbow.

This is what I did yesterday:

Swings with 16kg 15/15 x 4 sets
TGU's with 16kg 3/3 x 3 sets
Jerks with 16kgs 20 x 5 sets

The jerks seemed to bother the elbow but only a little.

Spent the rest of the day stretching my tight, sore elbow (probably the jerks weren't a good thing, or maybe the swings...) and doing finger extensions with rubber bands.

Today, I did this:

Dbl front squats with 16kgs x 5, 5, 5, 5
Dbl Military Press with 16kgs 5, 5, 5, 5 (minimum pain, more like sensation)
Buttoms up press with 16kg 5/5, 4/4 (no pain, go figure...)
Windmills with 16kg 5/5, 5/5, 4/4

Bent press with 24kg 5/5 x 5 sets (no pain. I love these!!!!!!!!!!)
One legged DL with 24 kg 5/5 x 4 sets
Pull-ups on rings (minimum discomfort, probably should not do...)

I'm sure i'll be stretching my elbows and doing forearm extension work for the rest of the day. The pain is always worse during the day and not during the workout. Probably because I love to work out. That's where I'm at. Trying to stay at it, trying to be a little smart about it, but at the same time probably not too smart.

3 comments:

Mark Reifkind said...

dude, get a vibration thumper and soften up those flexors!get some ART work and or deep tissue work on them as well. kbs are very hard on the flexors and they are too tight and tugging on the medial epocondyle most likely.

Unknown said...

Thanks Rif, I'll do it. Where do you get thumpers?

Mark Reifkind said...

homedics.com has a good variety of inexpensive ones. I got mine at frys for $30 and it worked fine for years. you use it kind of a combination of vibration and ART type of muscle stripping.